Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Language

One of the biggest reasons that evangelical people might question my “salvation” is that while I love the Gospel and feel that I have a personal relationship with God, I believe that most other religions lead to God too. I have always believed this, even as a child growing up in a Baptist church. I guess I inherited this heretical idea from my mother, but I’ve developed my own explanations for it as I’ve gotten older.

It starts with my concept of God. God is the all-powerful force that created the universe and everything in it. When I speak of God, I often say “he,” but I don’t think of God as a personality with gender so much as an all-encompassing spiritual being. I believe that God is all that is in the world. Love, joy, peace, beauty, creativity, etc are all facets of God to me. I believe that God is more than any human can fully understand. What I believe about God is probably at least partly wrong, because he’s bigger than my capacity to comprehend, but that’s all right with me.

I believe that all civilizations have sensed something greater than themselves, and sought that something out. First they created words and names to communicate the spiritual ideas and experiences. All religions are languages. They were developed to contain and communicate the ideas people had about spirituality. Some civilizations came up with different names for the many aspects of our existence. The Greeks, for example attributed wisdom, sexuality, victory, death, aggression, motherhood, etc to separate gods and goddesses. The stories of the relationships that these deities had with humans and each other explain dynamics between the various motivations and forces in human life. Other societies deemed that there was only one power greater than us, or perhaps two. They also had stories to explain our relationship to that one force. Christianity has one God with many attributes, including (among other things) love, wisdom, fatherhood, peace. It also has a negative force of death, disobedience, aggression, rebellion, etc., and this force is called Satan.

Years ago, when I was first questioning the beliefs that I was brought up with, my friend Linus told me his theory of jars. I don’t know if it he heard it or read it somewhere, and chances are I’ve changed it some in the eight years since I’ve adopted it. God is like the ocean. Each group of people has wanted to understand this ocean, so they have taken a jar, and collected some of the water from the ocean into the jar. It is the same water in each jar, but as we examine the water, we tend to confuse the properties of the container with the properties of the water. One group insists that God is green, while another, with a mason jar, perhaps, declares that God is square.

I believe that the power of love and creativity and joy in this world is such that it would manifest itself to every group of people alive. I know that at least one religion (Buddhism) doesn’t even believe in a supreme deity, but from what I’ve read, Christianity and Buddhism still share a lot of truths. I have not studied much about various religions. For a long time I thought it would make more sense to practice one religion deeply than to only have a shallow understanding of several religions and still miss experiencing God’s presence with any depth. I have found lately though, that I have too much anger and disagreement with the churches I have belonged to, to continue practicing there. Now I am trying to strip my words to communicate with and about God down to those that I feel are really true for me. I will write more about that next time. It’s possible that I will end up looking into other religions to seek God, but it’s more likely that I will return to Christianity. I don’t think it’s necessarily more true than the others, but it is closer to my cultural background, so it is easier for me to fully understand and appreciate.

2 Comments:

At March 22, 2006 7:19 PM, Blogger deadwriter said...

I remember the jar theory. I think it might have come, at least partly, from someone else.

The problem with this essentialist kind of thinking is that people look for what you think are the most basic and important elements as evidence that each religion has a connection with God. As a result, they downplay the differences, the contradictions, and in some cases, the completely different concepts of what a "God' is.

Critics have said that it is a bit of a self-righteous position as well. That somehow, the people who are able to look beyond the differences and see the essential truths in every religion are the ones who are most in touch with God, not the ones who get caught up on the differences. Some people have compared it to spiritual colonization.

Oh, and you have to believe in God.

Which I don't think I do.

So really, I think that there are many similarities between religions and many differences. And I find both interesting subjects of study. But I think saying the similarities are more important than the differences diminishes all religions at the same time.

Linus

 
At March 25, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Agate said...

Linus, thank you for responding. First of all though, I don't actually think that the similarities between the religions are more important than the differences. I think that the great Truth or truths of the universe can be accessed through all religions, but I don't think that the religions all boil down to the same thing. One reason that I don't think this is that I don't know enough about other relgions to make that claim. Another reason is that I don't think all religions have the same goals. For example, the goal in Christianity is salvation and atonement. The goal in Buddhism is enlightenment. The priorities and perspectives of the two religions would be very different if they are seeking different goals. I think that there is value in all the religions. I want to be open to what I could learn from other religions, but I am aware that my view of other religions is very skewed by my Christian perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home